FEATURES AND ADVANTAGES OF THE MODEL 24-1-5-10-GR GAS POWERED
HYDRAULIC POWER UNIT. THIS MODEL IS RATED CONSERVATIVELY AT DELIVERING 10 G.P.M. OF FLOW AND 2000 P.S.I. CONTINUOUS PRESSURE.
Keeping in mind that all Hydraulic Power Units are not designed or built equally, it is important to understand what is expected from the power unit. More important are features that should be pointed out that set power units apart from one design to another. Many power units, though having comparative flows and pressure ratings seem to end short at those ratings because they are not designed to carry those ratings through on a continuous basis. A Power Unit should be capable to provide rated flow and pressure on an ongoing basis. The following questions and answers are intended to provide a basis for comparing and choosing the proper power unit to function and perform to accomplish the work and meet or exceed expectations. The following Questions and Answers are intended to be a “Bench Mark” when comparing Hydraulic Power Units.
QUESTION: What is the correct amount of Horsepower to have to power unit?
ANSWER: The ideal answer is to have adequate Horsepower to sustain the continuous delivery of flow at the rated pressure for extended periods to time without overloading the engine. Engines have (3) design claims pertaining to Horsepower. Gross Intermittent H.P., Net Intermittent H.P. and Net Continuous H.P rate engines. Model 24-1-5-10-GR is powered by Honda’s model GX-690 engine that is rated at 22.1 Net Continuous H.P. which far exceeds the required H.P. to support the requirements of this power unit on a continuous basis. Using an engine with reserve H.P. offers greater fuel efficiency and less impact on the engine’s design parameters, which should lead to longer engine life.
QUESTION: How important is the choice of the pump being used on a power unit?
ANSWER: Proper selection of the correct pump requires evaluating many concerns, such as operating speed, system pressure, temperature, life expectancy and if the hydraulic circuit is fixed or variable displacement. The pump chosen for the Model 24-1-5-10-GR was a rugged fixed displacement gear pump to satisfy the requirement of being used with “Open Center” Tooling. The design consideration in choosing the pump on this unit is that it is rated at close to twice the required pressure of the system, resulting in a high efficiency, adequate displacement at slower speed and long life expectancy.
QUESTION: How important is controlling the operating temperature of the hydraulic oil in a power unit and what are the results of a system overheating?
ANSWER: There are few crucial conditions that impact the performance or lack of performance in a hydraulic power unit. Excessive heat probably has the worst impact on the overall system. At elevated temperatures hydraulic oils have a tendency to oxidize more readily and the viscosity of the hydraulic fluid may thin out to the point that the life expectancy of the hydraulic pump could be reduced dramatically or even experience major and costly failure. The Model 24-1-5-10-GR incorporates (2) important criteria that set it apart from many other power units. Increased oil reservoir capacity has been incorporated in the design to include 9-Gallon capacity. In-adequate oil capacity is quite often overlooked in many compact power units and smaller reservoir capacities are a contributing factor for over-heating in the hydraulic fluids. Comparisons of other power units claiming to have the same flow and pressure ratings of Model 24-1-5-10-GR will show that they try to get by using anywhere from a third to half the reservoir size and that certainly contributes to excessive heat build up in the circuit. An additional precaution to keep heat buildup in check is to include a high performance fan cooled heat exchanger in the circuit. In a comparison to other power units of comparable ratings the size of the heat exchanger being used on the Model 24-1-5-10-GR rejects as much as twice heat as other units and that is a safeguard to keeping oil temperature in a safe operating range.
QUESTION: What are the recommended types of hydraulic oils to be used in the hydraulic power unit?
Answer: (3) of the ISO Grades are listed as ISO 32,46 & 68. In warm temperatures and demanding duty a heavier weight would be the choice, either 46 or 68. Conversely, when it is cold and the oil really does not have a chance to warm the ISO 32 is the better choice. There are specific functions of Hydraulic Fluids that should be considered. The functions of quality hydraulic oil are as follows.
- Transmit power.
- Maintain the system in good working order.
- Provide a heat transfer medium.
- Lubricate all moving parts.
- Provide a sealing medium.
DESIRABLE PROPERTIES OF HYDRAULIC FLUID
- Proper Viscosity: Choose a viscosity high enough to provide good sealing and proper lubrication, but not too high to cause significant pressure drops, loss of efficiencies or high power consumptions.
- Good Lubricity: Choose oil that has good lubricity, which is the ability to carry heavy loads while maintain low frictional properties.
- High Viscosity Index: The measure of the degree of change in the viscosity of fluid as change in temperature occurs. High index is the less the oil will thin when the temperature increases and low index the less the oil will thicken when temperature decreases.
- Stable & Non-degrading: Fluid should be thermal and shear stable and should resist breakdown from oxidation and bacteria.
- Low Compressibility: Compressibility is important when oil is subjected to higher pressure. High compressibility results in lower efficiency and higher apparent viscosity characteristics.
- Low Foaming: Low foaming is critical to performance. Excessive foaming can cause cavitation of the pump and premature wear
- High Heat Transfer: An important aid to remove heat generated in normal pumping and use of hydraulic fluids.
- Good Demulsibility: Demulsibility is the ability to resist emulsification and allow for separation and removal of water.
- Non-corrosive & Rust Inhibiters: Oils that are compatible with hydraulic components. Should contain effective rust inhibitors.
- Low Vapor Pressure: Assists in preventing cavitation and high wear rates of the hydraulic pump.
- Cleanliness: Extremely important to use clean and non-contaminated hydraulic oil. With extremely tight tolerances built into pumps any contamination could destroy a pump. Even new oil should be filtered before using. A 10-Micron Medium is recommended.
IMPORTANT STANDARD FEATURES INCLUDED ON THE MODEL 24-1-5-10-GR TO POINT OUT WHEN COMPARING COMPERABLE SIZED GAS POWER UNITS.
- Honda Model GX-690 Engine with Electric Start
- Heavy-Duty Gear Pump, 10 G.P.M. Displacement
- 9-Gallon Hydraulic Reservoir
- 12-Volt D.C. Heavy-Duty Fan Cooled Heat Exchanger with Thermostat Control
- Custom Flow Manifold, Allows for Selecting Flow of 5 or 10 G.P.M. or completely shutting off flow without building up excessive heat by utilizing a custom, unloading element designed into the manifold. This feature also allows for the disconnecting of pressure hoses without having pressure locked in the quick couplers.
- 12-Volt Starting Battery installed in an approved Battery Case
- Flat Faced Quick Couplers that meet H.T.M.A. Standards
- Over-Sized Return Filter, Submerged Style
- Filler/Breather Cap Assembly with Strainer Basket
- Sight/Level/Temperature Gauge
- Select Flow with Single Valve Operating Control
- 7-Gallon Fuel Tank, E.P.A. Approved Fuel System
- Structural Protective Cage, Provides Single Point Lifting Point
- Skid Style Frame with Fork Lift Pockets
- Open Design with Easy Access to all Components
OPTIONS AVAILABLE AND EASILY ADAPTABLE.
*MODEL 24CS-2WK WHEEL KIT ASSEMBLY, BOLT ON ASSEMBLY
*MODEL PGCK-3000 PRESSURE GAUGE ASSEMBLY
*MODEL HDV-4-3-M MANUALLY OPERATED DIRECTIONAL CONTROL VALVE. USED TO OPERATE A DOUBLE-ACTING CYLINDER
*MODEL SOV-T-3-4-P 12-VOLT SOLENOID OPERATED 4-WAY, 3-POSITION DIRECTIONAL CONTROL VALVE WITH CONTROL PENDANT. ALLOWS OPERATING THE VALVE UP TO 20’ AWAY FROM POWER UNIT
*MODEL FDSC-2 FLOW DIVIDER KIT THAT PROVIDES (2) INDIVIDUAL / INDEPENDENT CIRCUITS THAT CAN BE OPERATED AT THE SAME TIME. INCLUDES PRESSURE HOSES TO PLUG INTO EXIISTING MAIN CIRCUIT MANIFOLD CONTROL BLOCK